New Beginnings

Snow sculpture lit with candles taken at Christmas Market, Oslo, Norway. December 2014

I love the week between Christmas and the New Year as a meditative, contemplative and quiet period during which we look both back and forward.  Its a uniquely liminal space between the known and the unknown.

The old Roman god, Janus (for which January is named) is the diety of thresholds and beginnings.  His image is one of two heads, facing in opposite directions.  Just as we look back to the year that was and forward to the year that will be.

Roman god Janus, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

We take stock of the last year.  What worked? What didn't? What surprised us? And allow our aspirations to manifest in goals for the New Year.  Where do we want our lives to go? To change? To improve?

Every year at this time I find myself looking around and seeking "What can I get rid of"? What do I no longer have use for? What am I still holding onto that I no longer need? I always enjoy decluttering but especially during this time of year, when its specifically to make space for things to come.

The new pajamas that I never really liked? Moved on. The pile of 'projects' that's gathered over the last year? Culled.  The books I'll never read again? Charity shop.  I must admit, I find it a joy to work on challenging my attachment to 'things'.

After the house has been swept through, the front and back door opened to let in the first winds of the new year, I sit back, reflect and light some candles.  They're not only cosy but a promise of the lighter days and Spring yet to come.

Wherever you are and whatever you are doing on this first morning of 2015, may the New Year reward you with much light and joy.

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O'Meara Family Origins

Husband Castrates Wife's Lover, Then Sues (Medieval Style!)

Debunking the Myths: Living in Ireland in 2013