#ThrowBackThursday

Navy did not win, as far as I can remember. 


It wasn't long before a quick look at my Facebook page reminded me its #ThrowBackThursday.  I'd never posted a pic in regards to this so I thought I might as well.  Luckily, I have three full photo albums chronicling my 20s (1990s). Oh, the memories!

Rody Bolands, Rathmines, 1996


My hair used to be much darker, before it turned grey/white.  I actually like it more now.  Its thicker and less frizzy.

I was never skinny.  Even in my 20s.  I've always carried around a bit of weight.  It may look better on me now.

Paris, 1993


I'm really glad I've always taken pictures of where I lived (although at the time it seems weird) as I have pics of houses, as they looked at the time, which I can check my memory against.  Google maps is great but it doesn't go back in time (as far as I'm aware).

I'm also glad I liked to save things like ticket stubs / concert tickets / wedding invites and stick them in between the pages.  What a flood of memories they bring back.

GAA tickets 1996


I think its easy, for all of us, to be somewhat discontent in our lives.  Part of this is probably just being human.  Its a human trait to want to better ourselves, improve, be critical and not necessarily be happy with the way things are.  And that can be a good thing.  It can prompt us to strive for positive change.  But if unchecked, it can also cause much discontent.  Looking over my old photos this morning made me realise that I've had a very rich life.  With so many different people in it.  With so much fun.  I've achieved so much, had so many different experiences and have so much to be grateful for. In some ways I've changed so much, and in others, so little.

There are a few aspects of my life which have made a lasting impression on who I am.  Being an expat/immigrant and being sober are two of them.  Its interesting how being both these things changes over time.  Eg, when I first moved to Ireland I saved everything.  Train tickets, GAA match stubs, nightclub vouchers.  Luckily some have actually survived the regular clear outs I perform. After a year or two of living here, I didn't feel the need to save every Bus Éireann ticéid.  

And its got me thinking of how being an immigrant changes over time.  If someone asked me a question about American culture in 1996 I could answer easily and absolutely.  If someone asked me a question today about what its like to raise kids in America I wouldn't be able to answer them.  I don't know.  I've only been a parent in Ireland.  I'm now so long away from America that when I go back there although some of it seems strangely familiar, I really feel like a tourist.  Which is fun.  As time goes on, sometimes I'm not sure if someone is speaking in an Dublin accent or an American accent because what I hear is just 'normal'.

And sobriety is similar in this way.  It changes over time.  In a good way.  It still surprises me sometimes.

I guess #ThrowBackThursday is so popular because life isn't static.  We continue to change over time (hopefully for the better) and its fun to see the differences. Never mind the old hair styles.  Its fun to look back on these old images of myself and think about all the things that have happened in between.  That have shaped the person I have become. Some of the pictures I like, some less so, but I always wish I had been less hard on myself at the time.  I wasn't so bad.  Life isn't so bad.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O'Meara Family Origins

Homemade Bread from Sourdough Starter

Husband Castrates Wife's Lover, Then Sues (Medieval Style!)